Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Review: Chrome Dreams II

After plaguing us for years with half-thought out albums, song sketches and general oddballness, Neil Young is doing more of the same with "Chrome Dreams II," the sequel to an album that never came out. Thing is, there's more good stuff than bad with this one. I particularly enjoyed the sloppy but reassuring "Spirit Road," and the extra long horns-with-one-note-guitar-solo manifesto "Ordinary People." Y'gotta love Neil, but he's so hit and miss these days. I suppose "Chrome Dreams II" is more of the same, but there's a little bit more hit than miss. I guess I'll take it.

I long for a resurgent streak from Neil a la Bob Dylan's last three albums. But maybe we already had it when he put out "Freedom," "Ragged Glory, "Harvest Moon," "Sleeps with Angels" and his Pearl Jam team up, "Mirror Ball." Even so, at least "Chrome Dreams II" isn't "Are You Passionate" or "Broken Arrow."

No comments: