Wednesday, November 7, 2007

A Li'l Bit O' Soul

Some of the most intriguing music out there has little to do with people who strum guitar chords, usually the main subject of this running musical commentary. Instead, it's coming from folks who hearken back to classic R&B.

I don't know much about Ryan Shaw, except for this great song, "Nobody," that I first heard on Music Choice and then downloaded when I was handed a parcel of free music from the Austin City Limits music festival. It's a mix of Stevie Wonder funk and Otis Redding with horns. Truly great single. I'm also interested in learning more about Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings. More classic sounds that would sound right on target on any Stax-Volt single.

So much R&B these days - at least to my white-boy ears - is "smooth" - great voices played over cocktail-hour synths. It's timid and hokey. These aforementioned artists grab you by the eardrums and no doubt (I think) worth a few more listens

No comments: