Sunday, November 11, 2007

Considerations: My Morning Jacket

MMJ is a band I've always felt I should get into, but never took the time to so - until I purchased "Okonokos," the band's sprawling two-disc live album, in October, 2006, and I suspect I've listened to it twice since that time, much to my detriment.

If Buffalo Springfield and Pearl Jam married, setted down and had kids, I suspect MMJ would be the result. They offer a sort of jam-bandish brand of rockabilly and lump in some country and rock into the mix. Finally, I've found some time to listen to at least disc one of Okonokos for a while and have to say I'm impressed with the acoustic-tinged "Golden," not to mention "Off The Record," but that's a song I've loved for a long time but have heard elsewhere.

I'm still studying these guys. For what it's worth ,their appearance in Cameron Crowe's muddled film "Elizabethtown," is one of the few things to recommend about the film.

No comments: