Saturday, November 17, 2007

Morrison by Petty

I just got hold of this four-disc Tom Petty package - a two-disc documentary, a DVD concert from the Heartbreakers' last tour and a nine-song bonus CD of rarities (if you can count another version of "Breakdown" a rarity)....one of the songs that gets a workout in the concert is "Mystic Eyes," by Van Morrison and Them.

If you had tried to connect Tom Petty to Van Morrison, I'd never have gone with it. I always sort of saw him and the Heartbreakers as a modern-day version of the Animals or the Yardbirds. But this the second time Ive heard him do a Van Morrison cover in concert; the other one, "I'm Tired, Joey Boy" is from Van's "Avalon Sunset."

These are not obvious choices for Van Morrison songs (to be sure, I do think Petty is known for covering "Gloria" as well, which would fit in better with the Animals/Yardbirds thing). So it says to me - and how would I know if this is true ,of course - that Petty may be sitting there with his headphones on listening to some pretty deep tracks on Morrison discs.

2 comments:

kurrabikid said...

Sounds interesting - I adore Van Morrison and don't mind Tom Petty. Must look out for this.

Anonymous said...

Nothing and no one better than Van Morrison. Somebody should cover "Here Comes the Night," another terrific Them track, lost to the limited playlists of radio programmers, who only remember "Gloria."