Friday, January 18, 2008

The Jayhawk Will Soon Fly Free

Gary Louris has spent the better part of his musical career helping others take flight - he has led his band, the Jayhawks, throughout many permutations; he's been a member of Golden Smog, a Traveling Wilbury-esque group of alt-rock musicians; and he's been a songwriter for everyone from Nickel Creek to the Dixie Chicks.

At last, he's striking out on his own.

While I've long been a Jayhawks fan, it's always been my thought that its members were playing under protest. Once they achieved a certain level of fame, they thought better of it. It became obvious after the band - which during its greatest moments mixed the harmonies of the Byrds with the rough-hewn guitar sound of Buffalo Springfield or Crazy Horse - released one of its greatest discs, "Tomorrow the Green Grass." After it launched, Mark Olson, one of the two principal songwriters, struck out on his own. Louris soldiered on, taking the band in more pop directions and even using Pink Floyd producer Bob Ezrin on one disc.

So I'll be really curious to hear what he sounds like just doing his own thing.

Even so, he apparently has a disc in the works with Olson, which just goes to show it's hard to leave that group dynamic behind.

5 comments:

Rambler said...

someone put them on my iPod. Not my cup of tea but anyway. And the Steve Earle I listen to really doesn't do it for me. Guess I thought it he was harder core and not so pop/blues.

Am digging the new Marah

Tuner said...

Depends what Steve Earle is on your ipod. Anything from "I Feel Alright" or "El Corazon" should be right up your alley, or even pre-drug arrest albums like "The Hard Way" and "Copperhead Road." His debut album "Guitar Town" is twangy Springsteen

Rambler said...

copperhead and guitar town is what i have...not that into it.

Tuner said...

Id suggest listening to I Feel Alright. El Corazon and Transcendental Blues. Better production, more rock than country - and he quotes "Rosalita" in one of the songs

Anonymous said...

Jayhawks have a bunch of great albums, but I find myself returning to "Rainy Day Music" more than any other.