Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Creaky Old McMurtry Grabs Me Again

I thought I had done a thorough search of the best of James McMurtry, only to find this AM that he has more work out there I need to seek out. WFUV - pretty much the only station I listen to in NYC these days (with a few casual time outs for WAXQ, the classic rock station), offered up McMurtry's "Every Little Bit Counts," from an older album of his I don't have in my collection, "Walk Between The Raindrops." ...This guy's got a voice as dry as a desert prairie, so don't come to him hoping to hear female backup singers or a horn section or even some Beach Boy harmonies. It's just one guy, his Lou Reed of the Sahara voice and an acoustic guitar (and, in more recent days, a really crack rock band). In any case, "Every Little Bit Counts" has a surprisingly hooky chorus that just might grab even a casual listener. I'm up in the air about whether I just download the song or buy the whole album.....besides, according to Mr. McMurtry's Web site, he has a new album due out in April, with lots of Austin-area guest stars....

No comments: