Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Carlene's Still Kicking

I'm excited but nervous to hear the new disc from Carlene Carter, the daughter of June who has surfaced over the years with interesting pop-rock gems but has not been able to keep up a sustained career with them

I obtained a preview disc of "Closer," and was half-impressed. I need to give it another listen. The disc is a little more earnest and country than I'm used to from Carlene, who has gained critical notice by working with former husband Nick Lowe and then former boyfriend and Heartbreaker Howie Epstein to create songs that were more like pub rock than country-esque. Some folks may recall songs like "I Fell in Love" or "Every Little Thing" (the last was penned with former NRBQ guitarist Al Anderson, which may give you a sense of why Carlene broke out)

But she's had a tempestuous life -drugs, bad lifestyle, several marriages, you name it. I'd like to see her do well and get some of the recognition she deserves. We'll see if "Closer" can seal any deals.

No comments: