Monday, December 3, 2007

Eagles Don't Soar

Thanks to my friend Tom, I have secured a disc containing many of the songs from the Eagles' new disc, and I have to say: Ehhhh.

Too overproduced, not sharp enough in lyrics or melodies. At least that's my initial take from about three listens. Even the Joe Walsh track lacks the guitar-slinger's trademark "can you believe I have to suffer the indignities of being a rock star" type humor.

The Eagles were always a little too meticulous for my taste, but these days the air has just been snatched out of the room in favor of songs that sound just a little too perfect (at least in terms of production). The one song stuck in my head is "Too Busy Being Fabulous," a Don Henley-put down of someone who scotches the relationship in favor of seeking the limelight. It's sort of a middle-aged "Life in the Fast Lane" with some romantic yearning baked in. But it's nowhere near the level of that aforementioned song.

Anyone could have written these songs. Which is why the various members of the Eagles would have been better off keepin' on their sporadic solo work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OK, it's not up to their best work, but there's more than just a couple good songs. "Waiting in the Weeds" is the best. Nice mid-tempo ballad, evocative lyrics, pretty harmonies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9yzmH5EszY