Friday, October 26, 2007

Two Versions, One Mind

Have to confess, I've known of the Kinks tune, "Muswell Hillbilly," for years. I'm just not sure I've ever really listened to it.

My first memory of the tune comes from hearing a version of it sung by Southern Culture on the Skids, the twangy, trash-a-billy band that has made a name for itself with 50s rock stylings and songs about fried chicken and Li'l Debbie Snack Cakes. Enjoyed the song, mostly liked the album, too, but that's as far as it went.

Just this AM, I heard it on the radio - the Kinks. Now the song is stuck in my head, but I can't tell which version it is, 'cause I keep hearing Ray Davies singing the lyrics, but I also have some of SCOTS' kookier phrasing on the song rolling around in there, too.

Does this ever happen to anyone else?

1 comment:

Rambler said...

I need to buy Muswell. Was listening to Lola (the CD, not just the song), that is amazing, still stands up. OK, where's metro with my breakfast!