Wednesday, October 31, 2007

New Colors For The White Stripes

So I've been listening to the White Stripes' latest album, "Icky Thump," and I'm wondering how much longer these guys can beat the one-trick pony act.

Don't get me wrong. I think the Stripes are fun as hell and marvel at how many variations on a simple form - loud blues-metal and pounding drums - they can devise. With this disc, however, they've used everything from bagpipes to Mexicali horns to leaven the recipe, and unless the next disc burnishes a new Jack White yen for steel guitar, I'm not sure where they go next.

One hint may be found on the new disc's second song, "You Don't Know What Love Is (You Just Do What You're Told). Sounds like Jack's got a hankering for good 1970s-era, guilty-pleasure AM pop, a la The Raspberries, Andy Gibb and Leo Sayer. You'll find more of this on "Broken Boy Soldiers," the disc he put out with The Raconteurs. I'm telling you, it's in there

No comments: