Sunday, October 21, 2007

Taste Check

Just so you can get a sense of the lens I'm using on this thing, here are the top 25 songs played on my iPod as of Sunday, October 21, 2007. Frankly, I'm a little surprised, as I've got loads of Aimee Mann on there and not one of her songs is on the Top 25. And I'm a little relieved, as I have two songs by the Knack on there, and they didn't make it, either

1) "Someone To Love" - Fountains of Wayne

2) "Blues Before & After" - The Smithereens

3) "Fight Fire" - Southern Culture on the Skids

4) "Lawyers In Love" - Jackson Browne (Yeah, yeah. I'm surprised, too)

5) "Motherless Children" - Eric Clapton

6) "Lost Cause" - Beck

7) "My Back Pages" - Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Tom Petty, Roger McGuinn, George Harrison, Eric Clapton (from Bob Dylan 30th Anniversary Concert)

8) "Bad Enough" - James McMurtry

9) "Mr. Pitiful" - Otis Redding

10) "Evening Gown" - Alejandro Escavedo (cover of an obscure solo Mick Jagger song)

11) "Two Hearts" - Bruce Springsteen

12) "Every Little Thing" - Carlene Carter

13) "Your Best Friend" - Gutterball

14) "Painting By Numbers" - James McMurtry

15) "Something Wild" - John Hiatt

16) "They're Blind" - Kelly Willis (a cover of an obscure Replacements song)

17) "Last Nite" - The Strokes (I think I like it cause it sounds like Tom Petty's "American Girl")

18) "Basket Case" - Warren Zevon (co-written with Carl Hiaaseen. If you like the mentally ill, this song will offend you)

19) "This Wheel's On Fire" - The Band

20) "I'm Looking Through You" - The Beatles

21) "Funny Little Frog" - Belle and Sebastian

22) "Redneck Friend" - Dave Alvin (cover of a Jackson Browne song. Please don't read anything into the fact that both this and "Lawyers in Love" are both in my top 25. I was always partial to Jackson's "Somebody's Baby"- which, come to think of it, ought to be on my iPod)

23) "Before They Make Me Run" -Steve Earle and the Supersuckers (cover of the Rolling Stones song, and a much better version, if you ask me. The Best Song Steve Earle Never Wrote, But Should Have)

24) "Same In Any Language" - I Nine (from the soundtrack of the oddball Cameron Crowe movie, "Elizabethtown" Not-so-great movie, interesting song)

25) "Rise Up With Fists!!!" - Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins

2 comments:

Rambler said...

Lawyers in Love??? Well, that's better than Tender is the Night. Poor Jackson, he never recovered from belting Daryl Hannah around

Tuner said...

For a long while, he had what I like to call "Jackson Browne Disease," where the songs got bogged down in politics and weren't particularly tuneful - I'm thinking "Lives in the Balance" or "For America." Hitting Darryl may have been good for his art, if not his career: "The Night Inside Me" is one of the better things he's done in recent years.