Sunday, July 6, 2008

No Fat On This Pork

People who know me will be surprised by this one, but I'm quite taken with Weezer's new single, "Pork and Beans." Clever little hooks and the usual whiny narration explode into a heavy Korn/Staind/whoever guitar riff that sounds a little too perfect to be done without any irony to it.

Rivers Cuomo sings about how bad off and nerdy and unattractve he is, and wonders if he got Timbaaland to produce his next album whether he'd be as popular as Justin Timberlake. Then the song dissolves into the kind of proto-metal guitar hook that ought to snare any kid between the ages of 15 and 21 - which goes completely against anything else I've heard by Weezer, so i makes me wonder if the band isn't simply taking what has quickly become a musical cliche and subverting it to its own melodic ends. This article makes me think that's so.

No comments: